aquatics n : sports that involve bodies of water [syn: water sport]
portalpar Water sports There are a large number of sports that involve water. The following is a List of water sports, divided by category. These categories are based on the relation of the sports to the water. Some of the sports include only one part related to swimming, as for example Triathlon.
In the water
- Swimming includes pool swimming and open water swimming
- Triathlon is usually a combination of swimming, cycling and running
- Modern pentathlon includes epee fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, a show jumping course on horseback, and cross country running
- Rescue swimming is swimming with the goal to rescue other swimmers or the practice thereof
- Water polo is a team sport played in water.
- Synchronized swimming is a hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and ballet.
- Water aerobics is aerobics in the water
- Water gymnastics is gymnastics in the water
- Snorkeling is the practice of swimming at the surface (typically of the sea) being equipped with a mask and a short tube called a snorkel.
- Diving off springboards or off platforms
- Synchronized diving
- A water slide is a slide with water flowing down it
- Scuba diving is swimming under water using a (self contained) breathing apparatus
- Free-diving is the aim to maximize the depth dived using no breathing apparatus
- Underwater hockey is hockey played under water with short wooden curved sticks and a heavy puck. Players wear diving masks, snorkels, and fins, and must surface to breathe while team mates continue the game on the pool bottom.
- Underwater photography is photography done under water. Numerous contests worldwide are arranged every year. The digital cameras have revolutionized how many divers participate.
On the water
- Skurfing is where the participant "skurfs" behind a boat on a surfboard
- Barefoot water skiing is waterskiing with no skiis
- Boating is the use of boats
- Bodyboarding is similar to surfing, but the board is smaller and the person (normally) lies down on the board
- Fishing is the recreation and sport of catching fish
- Kite surfing on flat water using a kite for propulsion
- Parasailing where a person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a parachute
- Sailing using the wind for propulsion
- Surfing downhill on waves
- Wakeboarding is similar to water skiing, but using only one board attached to the feet
- Wake skating is similar to wakeboarding, but the board is not attached to the feet
- Water skiing is using skis to slide over the water while being pulled by a boat or other device
- Windsurfing on flat water using wind for propulsion in combination with sails
- Yachting sailing on yachts, daysailing, cruising or Yacht racing
aquatics in German: Wassersport
aquatics in French: Sports nautiques
aquatics in Simple English: List of water sports